We want to ensure users of Appeon Web/Mobile (collectively referred to as Appeon for PowerBuilder) do not fall far behind the innovations planned for upcoming release of the PowerBuilder IDE. It is for this reason we cannot make future versions of Appeon for PowerBuilder backwards compatible with obsolete versions of the PowerBuilder IDE or vice versa. Of course, we will continue to support existing versions of our products against obsolete versions of the PowerBuilder IDE according to our support policies such that you have adequate time to upgrade.
The next major new release of Appeon for PowerBuilder, which is planned for Q4 2017, will bring about the following specific changes:
- New Features: All new features of the upcoming PowerBuilder 2017 release will be supported, which will be in addition to other enhancements already planned. Please stay tuned.
- PowerBuilder Compatibility: PowerBuilder 12.6 Enterprise Edition and older will no longer be supported. The new version will only work with PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition.
- IDE Integration: The add-on toolbar (developer toolkit) will be removed from the Appeon PowerServer product packaging and integrated into the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition. Please note the toolbar will no longer be available separately from PowerBuilder.
- Product Name: Appeon for PowerBuilder will be renamed to Appeon PowerServer. Appeon Web will be referred to as PoweServer Web and Appeon Mobile will be referred to as PowerServer Mobile.
To reward our existing customers for their loyalty and to encourage your upgrade to the new version of Appeon PowerServer, we are offering to all qualified Appeon customers* the opportunity to purchase the new PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition at the special promotional price of USD 795/year. This is approximately a 50% discount over the current list price!
*Promotion Qualification Requirements
You are eligible for this special promotional offer if you meet all the following requirements:
- Purchased both developer and production licenses of Appeon Web and/or Mobile before September 30, 2017;
- The purchase was made directly to Appeon or authorized partners located in North America, Latin America, and Europe;
- All Appeon licenses are under active software maintenance subscription plans;
- The purchase of PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition is placed before December 31, 2018; and
- The number of PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition subscriptions (under the promotional price) is not greater than the number of developer licenses of Appeon Web/Mobile.
1. Can the Developer Toolbar of Appeon for PowerBuilder be installed to the PowerBuilder 2017 IDE?
No. The existing Appeon Developer Toolbar included in the Appeon for PowerBuilder product packaging will only install to and work properly with Sybase PowerBuilder 9.X to 12.x Enterprise Edition. But the Appeon Developer Toolbar is no longer necessary if you upgrade your PowerBuilder IDE to the PowerBuilder 2017 (Universal Edition).
2. Does the PowerBuilder 2017 IDE support existing versions of Appeon for PowerBuilder?
Yes. To minimize disruption for our customers, we are making the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition backwards compatible with the 2016 version of the Appeon for PowerBuilder. If you are on an older version of the Appeon for PowerBuilder product, for example 2015 or 2013R2 version, then you will need to upgrade at least to the 2016 version.
3. When is it mandatory that I upgrade to the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition?
Whenever you decide to upgrade to the 2017 version of the Appeon for PowerBuilder product (which is being renamed to Appeon PowerServer) you will also need to upgrade your PowerBuilder IDE to the new PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition.
4. What happens if I don’t upgrade to the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition?
You can continue using the 2016 and older versions of the Appeon for PowerBuilder product with legacy licenses of Sybase PowerBuilder 9.X to 12.x Enterprise Edition. However, you will not be able to benefit from any new features in future releases and you will eventually not be eligible to receive any more bug fixes or technical support.
5. Does the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition offer any benefits over my existing version of the PowerBuilder IDE?
Yes, the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition should offer the following benefits:
- Unlimited user session (production) license of Mobile Cloud Apps (.NET)
- Windows 10 compatibility for the PowerBuilder IDE
- A more stable IDE for a faster development experience
- New features introduced up to PowerBuilder 2017, plus you are on the patch to receive the rest of the roadmap we have planned.
6. Does the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition include Appeon Web licenses?
No. The PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition only includes a special version of Appeon Mobile (.NET). If you are currently using Appeon Web you should continue to keep your licenses under active maintenance such that you can continue to get upgrades and support for your development and production licenses. If you are not currently using Appeon Web you can add this license (for a fee) to your PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition.
7. Should I keep my existing Appeon Mobile licenses under active maintenance?
There are a number of things to consider, such as difference in license terms, software environment requirements, installation packages, etc. We recommend you contact the sales dept. to help guide your decision-making process.
8. What’s the difference between PowerServer and Appeon Web/Mobile?
Appeon PowerServer is the new name for Appeon Web/Mobile. We are currently in the process of renaming the product, and this change will officially take place with the 2017 version of Appeon Web/Mobile. If you upgrade to the PowerBuilder 2017 Universal Edition, you will see that the server runtime used for the new Mobile Cloud App target is already renamed to PowerServer.