More Productive IDE
- Tabbed Code Editor – The PowerBuilder IDE has a new tabbed layout that provides more screen real estate and makes it easier to work on multiple objects.
- Jump to Objects – Select an object reference within any declaration or code segment and instantly "Jump" to the referenced object class (via its related painter).
- Quick Code Search – Navigate to the related script by using search "expressions" from the search dialogue in the system tree. Filtering has also been provided in various object painters, such as SaveAs and Select Tables dialogues.
Stronger Web Security
- Two-Way TLS Authentication – Both the server and the client can authenticate each other, allowing connections only from authorized users. Two-way TLS authentication is supported for all HTTP requests, including requesting security tokens and invoking REST Web APIs.
- HTTP Protocol Upgrade – The latest HTTP/2 and TLS 1.3 protocols offer better security and performance. These protocols are supported for all HTTP requests, including requesting security tokens and invoking REST Web APIs.
Enhanced UI Themes
Implementing UI Themes is more productive and offers greater customization control over your application UI.
- Inheritance – The style of the base window/user object will automatically apply to descendent windows/user objects without extra style definition.
- Style Controls in Group – You can automatically apply the style to the same type of controls in a user object.
Newer OS and Database
- OS – The PowerBuilder IDE and runtime now support Windows 11 (as well as Windows 10).
- Database – SQL Server users can upgrade to the new OLE DB Driver version 19, Oracle users can upgrade to Oracle 21c, and Informix 14 is also supported.
- Seamless Deployment – The Cloud App Launcher has been enhanced to make the client deployment process more seamless. It has been optimized to install and work in high-security configurations, including non-administrator accounts, elevated UAC settings, and most anti-virus software. It is also more intuitive for end users to install your Cloud app.
- Enhanced Deployment Profile – The Deployment Profile has been simplified for local deployment. With far fewer configurations, you can now easily get your app deployed to your local machine.
- Enhanced UFA Report – The UFA report has been improved to identify more unsupported features and conversion discrepancies.
A new debugger designed specifically for PowerServer projects has been integrated into the PowerBuilder IDE. It allows you to identify problems specific to PowerServer projects, such as incorrect return values from the Web API layer. It supports important debugging features, such as setting breakpoints, stepping through the application, using a DEBUG preprocessor symbol, and breaking into the debugger when exceptions are thrown.
- Minimal Data Size – Data transferred between the client app and server side will be compressed by leveraging Brotli compression (available in GA).
- Faster JSON Processing – Adopted a new JSON library for faster server-side JSON parsing and generation.
- .NET 6 Performance Enhancements – Numerous performance enhancements have been made in .NET 6. Deploy your app to .NET 6 to take advantage of the boost in performance.
Newer OS and .NET
- OS – The client app can be installed on Windows 11, and PowerServer API can be installed on both Windows 11 & Windows Server 2022.
- .NET – PowerServer API now supports .NET 6, which is compatible with Windows and Linux server OS.